Friday, October 17, 2008

New frontier

The days are getting better, for real!! I am amazed by the things that can happen when you ask God for them. I have been really trying to be calmer and more understanding lately....and it makes a difference to the response you get from other people. The book I have been reading really emphasizes that before you can ask God to change someone else, you better start with asking Him to change you first. 9 times out of 10, it may not be the other person at all!

I have been asking God to help me be more loving, and less argumentative, and slower to anger or show extreme emotions. There were some days it is very hard to stay calm and be nice, when no one else is...but self control is a good thing. Well, last night it paid off. John and I had a couple of hours together, just us, after the kids went to bed. It was perfect!! Nothing major, just a little time alone. Some days it seems like we lead very separate lives under the same roof, we each have our own little routines, and we kind of leave each other to them. But last night, they sort of converged, we were really "together". I told him how much I appreciated the time with him. Then God quicken me to say something before I even realized I was saying it....I told John that I had been praying to God to give us some time alone. I was praying a free trip for a weekend away would come up at work, and it would be given to me, so that John and I could go away. Please understand, that wasn't about my asking God for material things, it was about having some quality time with just John. We never do anything without the girls, we need some us time. But last night was a wonderful start. For me to tell him that I was praying about us was a HUGE step for me. I always try to shelter him from that sort of talk to avoid confrontation. But what do I have to lose? He's going to think what he wants to think anyways. But what if telling him this time could make the difference? What if I didn't tell him and lost that one opportunity to touch his heart?
I am just blessed. Sometimes we get so wrapped up in our daily hum drum we forget to slow down and appreciate all the wonderful things God has for us. They may not be wrapped up all pretty and neat like we want them to be, but they are still ours!

Here's a bonus one....last night after I prayed for Abigail, she said I pray for you momma. I said ok. She leaned over to me, put her hand on my forehead, said take care of momma, AMEN!! Love that baby girl!!!

No comments: