Friday, October 3, 2008

The forgotten Golden Rule

What is happening in the world today? When did we forget what it means to treat others as we would like to be treated? Again, I guess my momma just raised me better. But I just don't like the way people interact anymore, in the workplace, in stores, in schools, on TV...which bleeds over into our homes. I don't want my girls thinking its ok to scream and yell at each other, or be rude, or use words that aren't positive and uplifting. What happened to just being nice to each other because it's what we should do?

It happens everyday at work...whether its from employees or customers, it happens more times that I would like to count in a single day. Customers want to be helped and treated with respect...but only when they decide it's time. When the first arrive, they put their hands up and say in the rudest voice possible "I don't need any help, I'm just looking". Why does it have to be so hateful? Or from employees...rather than doing what's expected from them and maybe a little extra, they want to do as little as possible but demand more pay, and more days off, and more benefits. And then they spread their negativity disease to everyone else at work, they tell anybody that will listen how mistreated they are.

I don't want that for my children. I don't want them to grow up in a negative world. I don't want to shelter them either, but I want them to realize that you get more flies with honey, than you do with vinegar.

Tonight Tyler got very loud and obnoxious with me. The exact phrase was "for your information". It lit me up like a firecracker. Typically I would scream and yell, and possible spank her. Tonight, I sent her to her room first. I needed a few minutes to think, to gather myself, to decide where to go next. This week, I have been trying to approach things from a different angle, to try to achieve different results. I needed a bible verse to show her...I wanted her to know not only did I say she shouldn't talk that way, but I wanted her to know that's not what Jesus expected from her either. I went online to use a bible concordance to find something, anything that would work. I looked and looked, and wasn't finding anything. Iwas about to give up. (Of course that's what the devil wanted me to do) I tried to think of someone to call that might know one, but its a little late on Friday, and its not like this was an emergency. But wait, to me, it seemed like an emergency, it was something I wanted to handle now and I wanted to handle it the right way. Finally I came across Matthew 7:12 which says "So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets." Thank you Jesus, I found one!!!

I called Tyler back into the room, and I asked her to bring her bible with her. I had her look up the verse. Once she found it, I asked her "what color is that verse?" She said "red". I asked her "what does that mean?" She said "that means Jesus said it". I said "exactly, then read it out loud". We discussed it, I explained to her that means if you don't want to be yelled at, or talked ugly to, or mistreated, then she shouldn't do that to others. I may not have the backup in this house that I desire....but tonight I found backup, the biggest backup of all!! I truly feel like she took it to heart. We discussed if we wanted to be more like Christ, we need to talk more like Christ to everyone around us.

1 comment:

Michelle Hill said...

What a teachable moment! You are living out loud! Very proud of you, girl!
Michelle