Monday, December 8, 2008

Three in one

I was thinking today about how differently I act in different places. There is Libby at church, Libby at work, and Libby at home. And sometimes they are all polar opposites.
Libby at church and Libby at home are finally starting to come together as one. I am finding ways to share my feelings and faiths at home, without being pushy. You don't have to talk the talk all the time...sometimes you just need to walk the walk in front of them. I am very happy with the progress that is happening in our house, no matter how slow it may seem. God tapped me on the shoulder the other day and said that He doesn't have to show John, He only has to remind John of His might. John knows, or at least he used know at one point, but just some where along the way he forgot how wonderful Our God is. How faithful, how caring, how loving, how gracious, how forgiving, how amazing, and just HOW BIG He is!!!! I know God can do ALL things, but to me reminding John seems much easier than showing him for the first time.
My problem lately though is figuring out who Libby at work is. It's hard to be the boss, you can't say this, or you shouldn't do that...but somewhere along the line you still have to be tough. I have been very concerned lately with some of the things happening at work. If things are being done by upper management that I don't agree with, at what point just because I'm there does it make me just as guilty? My grandmother always used to say "If you lay down with dogs, you'll wake up with fleas." I know I don't work for a christian business, but still....should I have to be a different person? Or hold back who I am supposed to be?
I have been sick (AGAIN!!) lately, and I was talking to my mom today. I told her I think I am just basically worn out. I get sick, and feel guilty about missing work so I don't, but then I never get completely better, so I just get beat down and sick again. My mom's answer to that was I needed to cut down on some of the "extra" stuff I do so that it doesn't affect work. She said I couldn't let volunteering at the kids school or at church keep me from being able to do my job. I told her that was completely wrong. 50 hours + work a week, that's what wears me out. I shouldn't have to give up what I enjoy so that I can be at work more!! I could barely talk at all today (and I'm in sales!!) and it never occurred to anyone to say "hey, you know what? You are always here, you look like you feel bad, go home." At what point are we trying too hard and killing ourselves to impress others, than to do what's right for us? I know that God has a vision for me....and it is not hocking furniture for the rest of my life!! Don't get me wrong, I love it, but it is not going to define my existence.

Ok....I am officially stepping off my soap box now. My biggest downfall, at work, at home, at the kids school, and yes even at church is that I don't know how to just say no. At some point, I have to slow down and get some rest. So if you pray for me at all, I hope it will be for the ability to finally learn to say no occasionally.

1 comment:

LynnSC said...

Hi Libby,
It took me forever to realize that rest is not a luxury... it is a necessity. For years, I worked third shift 3 days a week and then homeschooled my children. I always felt guilty when I needed to sleep. Now my children have gone to school and I still feel guilty if I come back home and lay down... then I don't get all my chores done. LOL!

I am sending you an email with the information that you wanted. I am pumped up about telling you all about it.
Lynn