Saturday, November 1, 2008

Did I say that???

Everyday I get about 5 different scripture references sent to my email. 1 for healing, 1 for prosperity, 1 for faith building...anyways. As the day goes on, I read them at work to remind me that there is someone bigger than me standing in the gap for me everyday. The verses always seem to be right on time for me...it always seems like it was just what I needed to hear at the moment. Well today I was reading one of the emails that had this verse in it:
Mark 16:17-18 "And these signs will follow those who believe: In My name they will cast out demons; they will speak with new tongues; they will take up serpents; and if they drink anything deadly, it will by no means hurt them; they will lay hands on the sick,and they will recover." It was one I had heard before, didn't really seem to be that big of a deal at the moment...but....one of my salespeople was reading it over my shoulder. He then says "I remember back in the 70's when people really thought they could speak in other tongues" and he proceeded to say a bunch of mumbo-jumbo and then laugh hysterically. Normally, because I didn't want to possibly offend someone, I would have just kept my mouth shut...but today the Lord was not allowing me to get by with that one. The words were coming out of my mouth before I even knew it. I said well actually there are still lots of people TODAY that believe that speaking in tongues is still very real and use them all the time. He laughed again and said "oh come on, you're kidding right? You don't believe in the mess do you?" I said actually I do, I believe there are many examples of tongues throughout the bible, first there are times when people spoke in their own language and everyone heard it in their own, then there are times when there are tongues spoken to a congregation through a member that someone will always have an interpretation for, and then the final type of tongues is a prayer language used to speak directly to God. I think I sort of shocked him, he quit laughing and started to ask real questions. He asked if I thought people yelling and screaming and acting crazy were real. I told him there are always people who put on just for the show, but I personally know people very close to me who very often and fluently pray in the spirit, and I trust them 100% and know that I know that I know that it is real! I told him that as you get more intimate with God in prayer there is a language that comes that is only between you and God.
I couldn't believe that I said that. I would normally not even begin to give my Christian views at work, I always felt that was one place that I shouldn't show that side of myself. But you know what....who cares what they think. Maybe by saying that someone will get one step closer to God. And you know what? If no one there did, I at least hope it will be me, bring me one step closer!!

No comments: