Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Working for the benefits...

Ok, let me just say first that I am quite addicted to blogging. It's great to have my own little soapbox to stand on any time I want, even if no one is listening. Just getting it off my chest is great for me. Plus by posting it, even if no one reads it, it feels like the world is seeing it. I'm just going to pretend that I have a huge following that is just waiting to see what revelation I have next.....ha ha ha!!!

Anyways, my idea for tonight is the lack of committment that seems to be plaguing people everywhere. It seems like everyone wants all the benefits of work, like vacation time, days off, insurance, 401K, discounts, whatever, without ever having to actually work!! Everyone feels like something is owed to them for just showing up, even when they are late every day. Its seems like when you are a nice boss, people step all over you and take your for advantage every chance they get. You offer an incentive for doing things they should already be doing as part of their job, then they think they are entitled to that every day. Employees want to start a new job every month or so, but expect to be treated the same as people who have earned the right to be respected as an experienced member of the team. What's up with that???

The best I can figure my momma just taught me better than that. We were taught to do everything you can without hesitation. That anything you decide to do, you are supposed to do with your whole heart. And if you can't give it everything you've got, then maybe that's not the place for you. And even sometimes if you decide its not the place for you, you still stick with it because you made a committment to do it no matter what. I guess I was never really a temper tantrum kind of child, but that's what it seems like so many people in the workplace do, they basically lay on the ground, pound their fists, and kick their feet until they get their way. Or in adult terms....they tell EVERYONE else at work how they are mistreated, and its not fair, and how none of them are appreicated anyways, and they don't need this job they are looking for a different one every day.

Why does negitivity spread like wildfire at work? As managers we try everything we can to pump our people up, to motivate them to want more than the mediocre, to try harder to help themselves...and within 5 minutes they are off in a huddle talking about how bad it is, how awful ti is, why should they put up with it, or how they should start their own business.

I think we all have to learn to appreciate what we have. And until you operate in the situation you are in with excellence, why would you ever grow into anything more? I don't think God will allow us to move forward into a new season, until we can completely handle the one we are in right now. SO rather that complaining about how bad things are, and saying how you deserve better than this, and how they just can't see how great you are....how about putting everything you are into what you are doing today, then maybe something bigger and better will come your way tomorrow.

No comments: