Monday, September 29, 2008

This is going to hurt me more than it hurts you.

Remember as a kid our moms always said that just as they drew their hand back for the first lick of a spanking? I can still hear it echoing in my head. She would always say, "I know you don't believe me now, but this is going to hurt me more than it hurts you." What?? Are you crazy mom?? You are spanking my butt, remember?? I thought she must be nuts. How could her spanking my hiney hurt her??

Now as a mother of 3 beautiful, but not always sane, children I get it. So many things happen to them, that really do upset us more than they could ever imagine. Tonight was a perfect example. Apryl and Tyler wanted to have hot chocolatewith marshmellows since it was a little chilly outside. As Apryl was standing at the counter drinking hers, she tipped the mug too far, and it spilled all over her. It was a nightmare!! She was so upset. Apryl's way to handle things is to hide from it, she never wants you to look at a boo-boo, she puts her hand over it. That's what she did tonight. She didn't want me to touch it, look at it, definitely didn't want me to put anything on it. Not only that, but she was crying harder than I have ever heard her cry. (And if you know my girls at all, Apryl is not the cryer of this family) I was so distraught. I didn't know how to help her. It really tore me up inside. I wanted to help her feel safe and stop hurting. I wanted to comfort her. She wasn't going to let me though, it was killing me inside. Abigail was right there too, wanting to help her big sister. So what did we do? Abigail and I prayed for Apryl right on the spot in the bathroom. Something I would never have done before. Something a few days ago that I would have thought was silly to pray for, God has bigger things to deal with than my little problem. BUT NO MORE!!! He is always there ready to comfort us, He wants us to jump in our daddy's lap and tell Him where it hurts. So we did!!! I prayed for calming peace for her spirit, and healing for the burn. Abigail and I both laid hands on her chest and didn't stop until she stopped crying. (If you've never heard Abigail pray, she is a very good Amen-er. And she knows what it means to lay hands on somebody, she's had her share of hands laid on her. 15 minutes later I found her with her little hands together over her baby doll praying something fierce!!) Anyways, back to Apryl. She finally calmed down and she hopped up on my lap, I held her tight, and rocked her. She hasn't let me do that in years. It was wonderful. I went to put some cream on the places on her stomach, and I was in awe. When I first took her shirt off, she was beat red from her chin all the way down to her bellybutton. Just a couple of minutes later, AFTER OUR PRAYER, there were 2 tiny spots of redness. I brought all 3 girls together right in the middle of the living room, and I prayed a prayer of thanksgiving for all of them, for healing for Apryl, for continued health for Abigail, and for a light of Jesus in Tyler that shines brighter everyday.

As a final note, Apryl just came to me and said look mommy, there's no red spots now. I told her all because she let me help her....then I said someone else helped you too. She looked up at me with those big blue eyes with a huge smile on her face. I knew right away she knew what I meant, but I asked her anyways, "do you know who?" She whispered to me "JESUS!!!" Amen!!

This atmosphere will change....he may not have been here tonight to witness it...but if I know those girls they will definitely tell him the first chance they get. And as I get more and more confident in the authority I walk in...he will see it first hand, whether he likes it or not. Amen again!

No comments: