Thursday, February 5, 2009

I'll take it...

Many of you know the struggles we have with our baby Abigail. She has a small hole in her heart that they are monitoring, and she was diagnosed last spring with asthma. Let me say, neither of these slow her down at all. She is a vibrant, active, beautiful, smart, little girl. But she is sometimes a little less immune to the cold season....

Well, Sunday during church they had to come and get me because she started crying and was burning up. That is very not like her, so I knew something was going on. I took her into the sanctuary with me, because I knew I needed someone to agree with me in prayer over her.
Wonderful Ms. Sharon prayed over us both, agreeing that we would not accept another bout of pneumonia, we would not claim it, that we were going to claim her healing right there. I left church pumped!! I knew that wherever 2 agreed, He was in the midst of it. We went home, and she continued to get worse. Her fever was staying at 103, and she was very sickly looking. I called our doctor's on call service, explained to the online doctor her history...and he said he would call her in an antibiotic to try, and we would see what happened.

Well, her fever went down a little, but never under 101. By Monday afternoon, the fever was back up to 103 and she was throwing up. So we decided it was time to do something. I took her to er at the hospital in Asheville. Not sure what to expect...but needing to find out something.

Long story short....she was diagnosed with not only pneumonia but also RSV. I freaked out! I couldn't understand why the exact opposite of what I had prayed for, believed for...was happening! And especially to an undeserving baby! Why??

I tried to be the "good" christian and not ask questions. But I was confused..I wanted some type of answer anyway. I wasn't doubting God...but I wanted to understand. For so many years I have heard Christians say "oh, you just didn't have enough faith for her healing"....that's crap. I did, and it still didn't happen. Why??

I talked to our pastor....I wanted him to understand that I wasn't upset with God, or doubting Him, or turning the other way...I just wanted to understand. Why would God allow something like this to happen to a child. I knew that I wouldn't get the "typical" pastor's answer from him. And what he said really helped me...I don't even think he knows how much. He said that even though God didn't take away this illness from her....you may not see the bigger illness that the devil was trying to put on her that God saved her from.

That really made sense...there were 2 small (but significant) things I decided to cling to from all of this. First of all...the antibiotic the on call doctor called in for her...was the EXACT one they would give a child for the type of pneumonia she had. SO....by the time we got to the er, she already had 2 doses of that. AMEN! Secondly, the doctor at the er said her murmur was soooo faint! AMEN #2!

In the middle of this trial, another good friend of mine said to try praying for very specific things...not just a general healing but take her fever down, calm her down, help her eat, help her breath....be specific instead of so general. And I will say....everything I asked of Him after that advice, HE DID!!! Amen #3!!

I am happy to say that we are home now...and recovering well. Thank you Jesus!!

4 comments:

Pamela (His maidservant) said...

Wow. It is so hard when out little ones are sick. Continue to pray boldly. Do not get discouraged in it. It sounds like you are surrounded by good people.

Thanks for your prayers too!

In His Graces~Pamela

Pamela (His maidservant) said...

Libby-how is your little one? Praying for her!

In His Graces~Pamela

LynnSC said...

Hey Libby,
I thought that I had checked in on you more recently than this... I guess I hadn't.

I knew from your email to me that your little one had been in the hospital. I hope that she is better now.

I love that scripture tells us that we only need faith the size of a mustard seed to move a mountain. The size of our faith has nothing to do with God answering our prayers the way we want him to. His glory is His goal. Who knows His purpose besides Him??

Your friend is right about praying for specific things... it allows us to see His answer better. Unfortunately... He is not obligated to answer the way WE want Him to. He doesn't work for us... we are to work for Him.

I am still going to get you that Beth Moore stuff... I will let you know when I send it.
Lynn

Pamela (His maidservant) said...

How is your daughter? I am glad my post was able to match up to the sermon you heard today. I also love how God works in that way! YEA!!

Dance your heart out!!

In His Graces~Pamela